Saturday, January 19, 2013

MusEdMot Transcript: Teacher Evaluation

Here is the threaded transcript of the discussion I moderated today on Twitter for the Music Ed Motivation Day.

GREETING
 Mused Motivation Day ‏@Musedmot
It's Noon! @MusicHeather is our moderator for a discussion on Teacher Evaluation! Come join in!

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
#musedmot Teacher Evaluation in the Music Classroom.

QUESTION #1
What, where, and for how long have you been teaching?

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
Music (band & general), MD & PA, 12th year :)

Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
Elem general, NH, 3 years!

 Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
7-12 choral Rochester, NY 9 years

 Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
5-12 band, HS music tech, theory, comp, history at Berwick Academy southern ME 9 yrs there - 35 total Yikes!

Pat Toben ‏@mrstoben
19 years- general music, music tech, band, choir

Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
Elem general in Elgin, IL. This is my (gulp) 10th year.

QUESTION #2
Have you been evaluated this Semester, or will you be evaluated next Semester? Was (or will) your evaluator knowledgeable in music?

Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
Our eval is a year long process I've been observed 3 times so far. There will be at least 3 more.

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
informally but formally probably not. DFA visual art based good educator, likes music but really knowledgeable in music ed. ped. no.

Pat Toben ‏@mrstoben
No. Walk-throughs but not formal.

 Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
My evaluator is in charge of Fine Arts for the district, but she is a former art teacher, not music.


Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MsNystedtMusic same here.

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
I have been evaluated this Semester, and I will be evaluated again next Semester.

 Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
I think my evaluator knows what to look for, though, since she does see so many music teachers in action. I have not been evaluated yet this year, but I am on the cycle to be.

QUESTION #3
Briefly describe the evaluation form or system for your school.

 Pat Toben ‏@mrstoben
Hybrid CharlotteDanielson model every 3 years. Walk-throughs all the time.

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@mrstoben CD as well here, 2nd year using the Framework

Pat Toben ‏@mrstoben
@MusicHeather I love it! Very comprehensive.

Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
end of the year I will be given a number score based on my observations and the results of student tests - both music and ELA

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@kellyapetro My final eval also depends on math & reading scores

Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
this is the 1st year of this eval system. NY districts were required by law to adopt this system because of RTTT

Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
This is the 3rd year we're using Danielson, the 2nd time for me being evaluated with it. We are evaluated every other year.

Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
scored out of 100 based on a 38 page rubric, observation results, and student test scores

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
2nd year on Danielson Framework; 2 evals (50%) + MAP scores (30%) + School Index; used to be "check-list" form: poor, area for growth, satisfactory; I find Danielson more comprehensive & useful

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
Very generic form, 3yr cycle, 2-3 DFA in-class obsv., mostly based on yearly self-evaluation, sit-down chat w/DFA. we are moving to a more formal evaluation but not quite there yet. we also currently include Ss evaluation in each class we teach 7-12

Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
We have a confusing teacher eval system, It makes it look like we did badly but in reality a check minus is good. I get observed 9 times a year because I'm in my first 3 years. Anyone else have this happen?

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@musiccargirl14 That's a lot! First 2 years = 4 times for me.

Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
@musiccargirl14 I think that's new standard in MI. 3 observations/year until you get tenure.

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@musiccargirl14 in public/current school supposed to be several times 1st 3 years in school. In all my years never happened.

Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
@MusicHeather @jguarr told admin I get nervous when they're in there. The new admin started showing up at least for 5 min 2X a wk

QUESTION #4
How does the eval system work FOR you as a music teacher?

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
Checklist system did not work for me. Danielson kicks my butt into gear!

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
self-eval is good for me, makes me reflect/document Whole process makes me look good but doesn't help me be a better teacher.

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@Stephdon Part of my eval is to video record lessons and self-eval 2x a year; definitely see myself differently!

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather Yes! Video and/or audio tells it as it is! Agree!

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather record audio almost every band class mostly to check band sound - but amazing things I learn about my teaching!

QUESTION #5
How does the eval system NOT work for you as a music teacher?

Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
@MusicHeather I crave content-specific feedback. There's no system in place right now to get observed by a music expert

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@jguarr I had the privilege of getting a music expert in to observe me last spring...  soooo helpful!!

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@jguarr @MusicHeather This would be so helpful to us!

Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
Wish I could have a music expert eval me!

Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
@MusicHeather Somebody from your district, or somebody from outside?

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@jguarr The principal of our Arts Magnet HS, who is a former band director; he provided amazing feedback, insight, and ideas

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather @jguarr That is fabulous!

Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
@jguarr @MusicHeather its hard to get evaluated fairly on one class

Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
@MusicHeather @musiccargirl14 So true. A brief snapshot isn't terribly informative for admins or teachers.

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
50% of my overall yearly eval is based on items NOT in my classroom: math & reading tests scores and school performance, and my evaluator last year & this year are not knowledgeable AT ALL in the arts, much less music!

 Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
@MusicHeather That's a huge flaw in eval today. We should not be evaluated based on     students that we might not even teach

Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
I really wish my evals were based at least a little on my shows, thats the final result of those classes that they come watch!

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
It is too fluffy. Doesn't help me improve my teaching and specifically related to how I teach music.

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@Stephdon Fluffy? How so?

 Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather Not consistent from teacher-teacher/yr.-yr., set up to make us feel good     w/o any concrete, helpful feedback.

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
The current system (Danielson) is better than checklist, but seems better suited to ES classroom teachers

 Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather con't. I feel the "form" is generic seems like it covers the fact the evaluator lacks content knowledge. 

QUESTION #6
Where could you find "music experts" in your area to ask to observe you?

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
Colleges & Universities (although some may have been out of "the classroom" too long)

 Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
Put out a call to any retired music teachers in the area. Wouldn't be "official" but could be beneficial.

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@jguarr Definitely! Great idea! I'm sure my fine arts supervisor knows who they are.

 Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
univ. faculty observe, more relevant to have music colleagues w/excellent programs. Issue = their time.

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
@Stephdon Yes, and the idea of "compensating" them for their time is always my concern.

 Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather Yes $$ compensation important!

QUESTION #7
Does the eval system provide useful feedback for you as a music teacher?

 Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
Somewhat, I get good feedback on classroom management but nothing else really

 Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
some things relating to classroom mngmt/org but not at all related to my music teaching.

 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
Yes and no. The feedback on the new sys is more valuable and useful, however does not come from a musician

 Joe Guarr ‏@jguarr
Classroom management tips have been helpful, content specific feedback has been non-existent. So yes and no. 

Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
I agree, not much on actual MUSIC teaching, just on teaching in general.

 Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
we used to have a peer eval/mentor program. this provided me with the most useful feedback ever! I worked with other choral teach

 Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
We can take days to visit other music teachers in our district for ideas, although I haven't taken advantage of it.

 Elizabeth N ‏@MsNystedtMusic
I'm assuming it can work in reverse and we can ask those other music teachers to visit us for evaluation.

WRAP-UP
 Heather ‏@MusicHeather
Our time is up!!! Thanks to @Stephdon @jguarr @musiccargirl14 and @mrstoben for an excellent discussion!

Heather ‏@MusicHeather
Also thanks to @kellyapetro and @MsNystedtMusic! What an awesome PD method :)

 Catie Dwinal ‏@musiccargirl14
@MusicHeather Thank you for moderating!!

 Mused Motivation Day ‏@Musedmot
@MusicHeather Thank you for moderating!!

 Kelly Petro ‏@kellyapetro
@MusicHeather Thank you for a great discussion

Stephanie Sanders ‏@Stephdon
@MusicHeather Thank You! I so value these opportunities to connect with my virtual colleagues!




No comments:

Post a Comment